Student loans

Student Loans

Student loans are made available, by the government, to students who continue their education after college. Student Loans are split into two sections; a loan for your tuition fees and a loan for maintenance (such as accommodation and general living costs). There are also grants available to some students, which do not have to be repaid.

Qualifying Factors of a Student Loan

To decide whether youare eligible for a student loan, the following will be taken into account:

* Which course you are taking.
* Your own financial situation.
* Where you live whilst you are studying.

Anyone on a course which qualifies for a student loan will automatically be able to take up to 75% of the maintenance loan available, the remaining 25% is dependent on your personal situation. If you have children or dependants, or have a disability or particular learning difficulty then you could qualify for additional help.

At the beginning of term, the first installment of the maintenance loan will be paid directly to the students bank account. It would be a good idea to make a summary of all the fees that need to be paid and any additional costs which will need to be taken into account such as the cost of living etc. Make a budget plan and set out with the intention of sticking to it.

Repaying a Student Loan

Upon leaving further education, the loan will need to start being repaid. Although this will not come into force until the ex student is earning £15,000 or more and due to this a number of students decide this is the best time to take a gap year. With regards to interest increases the loan balances rise at the same rate as inflation and so you would repay the same value as that you originally borrowed - ie: the value of the amount originally borrowed would be increased so that it is worth the same in value at the end of the loan as it was at the start. Repayments are on a tier system so that the more you earn (above £15,000) the higher the repayments will be, calculated at 9% of whatever you earn above the £15,000. So, for example, if your salary is £18,000 per annum, you will pay back £270 over the year (9% of £3,000)

Don't use all your loan facility

You should consider earning an income while you study, especially in the summer break and term break periods. This will help reduce your borrowing to reduce the burden you will face once you leave university and start to make repayments. For some ideas on making money while studying see ProsperousMinds.com

Applicable Universities

Applicants to all UK universities are elligible to be considered for student loans including:

  • Aberdeen
  • Abertay
  • Aberystwyth
  • Anglia Ruskin
  • Aston
  • Bangor
  • Bath
  • Bath Spa
  • Bedfordshire
  • Birmingham
  • Birmingham City
  • Bolton
  • Bournemouth
  • Bradford
  • Brighton
  • Bristol
  • Brunel
  • Buckinghamshire New
  • Cambridge
  • Canterbury Christ Church
  • Cardiff
  • Central Lancashire
  • Chester
  • Chichester
  • City
  • Coventry
  • Cumbria
  • De Montfort
  • Derby
  • Dundee
  • Durham
  • East Anglia
  • East London
  • Edge Hill
  • Edinburgh
  • Edinburgh Napier
  • Essex
  • Exeter
  • Glamorgan
  • Glasgow
  • Glasgow Caledonian
  • Gloucestershire
  • Glyndwr
  • Goldsmiths College
  • Greenwich
  • Heriot-Watt
  • Hertfordshire
  • Huddersfield
  • Hull
  • Imperial College
  • Keele
  • Kent
  • King's College London
  • Kingston
  • Lampeter
  • Lancaster
  • Leeds
  • Leeds Metropolitan
  • Leicester
  • Lincoln
  • Liverpool
  • Liverpool John Moores
  • London School of Economics
  • London South Bank
  • Loughborough
  • Manchester
  • Manchester Metropolitan
  • Middlesex
  • Newcastle
  • Northampton
  • Northumbria
  • Nottingham
  • Nottingham Trent
  • Oxford
  • Oxford Brookes
  • Plymouth
  • Portsmouth
  • Queen Margaret Edinburgh
  • Queen Mary London
  • Queen's Belfast
  • Reading
  • Robert Gordon
  • Roehampton
  • Royal Holloway
  • Salford
  • School of Oriental and African Studies
  • Sheffield
  • Sheffield Hallam
  • Southampton
  • Southampton Solent
  • St Andrews
  • Staffordshire
  • Stirling
  • Strathclyde
  • Sunderland
  • Surrey
  • Sussex
  • Swansea
  • Teesside
  • Thames Valley
  • UWCN Newport
  • UWIC Cardiff
  • Ulster
  • University College London
  • University for the Creative Arts
  • University of the Arts London
  • Warwick
  • West of England
  • Westminster
  • Winchester
  • Wolverhampton
  • Worcester
  • York
  • York St John

where to now? EMA Grants Saving Money Cheap Rail Travel

Bookmark and Share
Updated on 22nd February, 2010

Puzzle Corner